Wisconsin Valley Golf Association
The 2023 Mark Zelich Classic is Saturday July 22nd & July 23rd
@ Greenwood Hills Country Club
Tournament Format: A two-day, 36 hole (weather permitting), stroke play Amateur event. USGA rules will govern all play. Participation is open to everyone 16 years of age and older, regardless of residence location. Field will be limited to first 120 entries submitted with payment.
There will be five main divisions: Mens, Seniors (50+), Super Senior Mens (65+), Ladies, and Senior Ladies (50+). Seniors must be 50 years old as of the first day of the tournament. Seniors can declare to play in the Mens division if they so choose, but will not be able to play in both at the same time as they will be playing from different tee markers. Players in all divisions are guaranteed play on both Saturday and Sunday. After the first day we will flight players within the divisions based on their scores. The number of flights and players within each flight will be based on the number of entries received for each division.
The tees and approximate distances for each division:
Mens - Gold 6600
Mens Seniors - Silver 6200
Mens Super Seniors - Green 5800
Ladies - Orange 5100
Senior Ladies - Teal 4800
Golf Carts: All golf carts must be reserved in advance of the event during registration. We cannot guarantee a cart if they are not reserved on your entry form. Players will be able to reserve carts on their registration entry forms.
Also the Team Cup is back! Wausau CC won it last year and we need to see what other courses can give them a run for their money this year. Each day of the event we will take the top 3 scores from each respective course, regardless of the Mens/Seniors/Womens divisions, and add them up. The lowest combined score for both days of play will be our Team Cup winner. Players should feel honored to represent their home courses, and the courses should try to bring as many players as they can to have their best chance at lowest scores. This extra event is intended to add to the camaraderie and excitement of our primary individual event. There will not be any prize money for the Team Cup, but there will be a trophy, and what we believe is a very desired honor for players and courses.
Other Notable Information:
- Practice rounds are available by calling the course and scheduling. Let them know you are playing in the Mark Zelich Golf Classic. Cost will be approximately $65 walking and $89 with a cart.
- We will post tee times by Tuesday the week of the event, with a link on the top section of this page.
- Caddies and Spectators are welcome, and encouraged!
- All rules decisions will be made by the Greenwood Hills Head Golf Professional.
- No refunds will be given for entry fees for withdrawals after 7/14/22.
- In case of bad weather we will attempt to complete as many holes as safely as possible. All decisions on when and how to play will be made by the Greenwood Hills Head Golf Professional and the Tournament Committee. In such cases where weather or outside forces prohibit completion of play, or any amount of play, no refunds will be given to any player for playing less that 36 holes of golf.
- All tournament decisions will be made by the Tournament Committee, and are final.
We are expecting to have everyone going off of the #1 tee both days. Here are the approximate tee time blocks (subject to change) for both Saturday, and Sunday with the leaders going out last in each Division:
Mens - Saturday 8 - 10 AM, Sunday 10 AM - 12 PM
Mens Seniors - Saturday 11 AM - 12 PM, Sunday 9 - 10 AM
Mens Super Seniors - Saturday 10:30 AM - 11 PM, Sunday 8:30 - 9 AM
Ladies and Senior Ladies - Saturday 10 - 10:30 AM, Sunday 8 - 8:30 AM
As with any big golf tournament, some sponsorship will be needed. Sponsors will be prominently displayed on event materials such as: event signage, rules sheets, and mentioned at the awards ceremony. If you, or someone you know is interested in becoming a sponsor, please contact either of the committee members below. Any donation, from any person or business, regardless of the amount, would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you to everyone who signs up and continues to keep this legendary event going. We look forward to seeing you all at the Mark Zelich Golf Classic in July.
Please direct any feedback or questions to the Tournament Committee Chairpersons:
Nic Babl at 715-574-3319 or NBabl33@Gmail.com
Derek Hilmershausen at 715-245-9742 or HilmerDJ@Gmail.com